1. What is W+A doing in this project?
I supervise/coordinate planning activities for new constructions and extensions to mobile phone sites of the network operators Vodafone and Telefonica using technology from Huawei and Ericsson.
2. What is the approach to or course of action for tackling such an assignment?
• Site handover by the client, review of site documentation by W+A
• Proposal submission/PO generation by W+A
• On receipt of the PO: scheduling a site inspection during which various information is collected, photos taken and a report completed (according to the respective client's specifications) and a draft drawing is prepared
• The inspection documents are forwarded to the client, after which we wait for the client to approve the draft drawing
• The subsequent approach varies depending on the client or project:
1. Development of a draft plan which is forwarded for review and approval. The approval of the draft is followed by the development of an execution plan including any necessary static calculations and workshop drawings for steel constructions.
2. The execution plan, including any necessary static calculations and workshop drawings for steel constructions, is immediately drawn up and submitted for approval.
• Construction work commences once the submitted plan has been accepted by all those involved (client, network operator, co-users, owners, etc.)
• On completion of the building work, the construction company in question provides red-lined documentation detailing any changes made to the original plans.
• These details are then used to create the drawings of the installation, which are handed over to the client or network operator for archiving and to serve as a basis for future planning.
• The work at the site can then be billed to the client.
3. How big is the project?
• Around 12 sites are processed each week.
4. Special assignments?
• There are none as each site is unique.
5. What characterises W+A in this project?
• The fact that we have specialised planners/draughtsmen and structural engineers in-house
6. Impact on the daily life of Joe Public?
• Planning does not impact Joe Public to begin with. He will not notice the improved performance/quality to the respective mobile network until the planned sites have been erected.
7. A look ahead to the future …
• The need for new constructions and extension plans will continue into the future as the mobile communications market is continuously growing, changing and developing.